Many nights I would find myself looking at the clock thinking it is 5:15 pm, I should start supper. Then the ever daunting question "What's for dinner?" I would desperately look through the pantry, fridge and freezer, finding that I should have pulled something out to thaw that morning. A box of mac and cheese it is!!! It is only the second time this week :( I decided there must be a better way! Meal planning has decreased my stress and we are eating much less mac and cheese.
How to start meal planning
1. look through your pantry, fridge, and freezer to see what food you have on hand
2. look at your price match list to see what food is on sale
3. make a list of meals for the week
4. look at your calendar to see what you have going on each day
5. assign meals to each day
Different methods of meal planning
1. Write meals on a calendar.
One meal planned for each day. I like this method because I don't have to decide daily. The decision is made and I follow the plan. I do write the meals in pencil so if a change needs to be made no problem.
2. Write a list of meals to choose from for the week.
It is a little more flexible if you don't feel comfortable deciding on Saturday what to eat on Tuesday.
What are your thoughts on meal planning?